Helpful Tips for FSI Families

Below are common concerns that arise for students and their families once they begin at Princeton, along with information to help you respond to these issues. For many concerns, you should direct your student to contact Dean Khristina Gonzalez and the Freshman Scholars Institute staff at

Did your student call with questions about their summer stipend or financial aid in general (i.e. tuition, scholarship, taxes, etc.)?

Direct them to the Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid at: (609) 258-3330 and

Is your student having trouble with a paper?

Direct them to the Writing Center, which offers students free, one-on-one conferences with experienced fellow writers trained to consult on assignments. Students can schedule an appointment at:  

Is your student having difficulty managing their time?

Direct them to the McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning. McGraw offers workshops on time management and provides practical strategies to help Princeton undergraduates become more powerful, productive and independent learners. Students can make an appointment at:

Do you or your student have questions about University health insurance and services?

Direct them to University Health Services (UHS), which provides basic medical and wellness services to Princeton University undergraduate and graduate students. To learn about their services and resources or to schedule an appointment online, visit or call (609) 258-3141. If your student is enrolling in the University Health Plan, we encourage them to reach out to UHS to learn more about their coverage.

Is your student feeling stressed about classes or anxious about fitting in?

Direct them to their Resident College Adviser (RCA). The RCAs are upperclassmen who can offer insight into navigating Princeton’s challenges based on their own experiences. You can also point your student to Dean Gonzalez at

If the student’s stress or anxiety becomes persistent, refer them to Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS), which offers a wide range of services including individual counseling, urgent care, psychiatry (this means medication for mental health issues), mindfulness programs and more. Students can make an appointment at: (609) 258-3285 or

Counseling is also available through the Office of Religious Life (ORL), which provides religious support and pastoral care. ORL can be contacted at (609) 258-3047 or  

Does your student have DACA-related concerns?

Direct them to the Davis International Center, which provides support and resources for undocumented/DACAmented students in terms of immigration matters. Undocumented students are encouraged to consult with the Center’s immigration attorneys. They offer advising appointments, which students can sign up for at: Or call (609) 258-5006.


Students also should not hesitate to contact the FSI staff at for suggestions.

What should I do if I need to contact someone during the academic year (i.e. after FSI ends)?

Great question! This is exactly why we had you meet the wonderful staff from the Residential Colleges. During the academic year, your primary contact will be in your student’s Residential College Office—the Deans, Directors of Studies, and/or Directors of Student Life who you met today, as well as the other staff members in that college. 

How do I learn more about University updates in response to COVID-19?

You can access the latest University updates, guidance, and policies related to the COVID-19 pandemic through this link: