Freshman Scholars Connect (FSC) Overview
FSC is Princeton’s online summer pre-orientation experience designed primarily for first-generation and/or low-income (FLi) students. FSC gives students an early opportunity to 1) participate in an online, non-credit course, either “Connect&Critique” or “Connect+Solve;” 2) connect in structured exchanges with faculty, staff, and peers on campus; and 3) gain familiarity with various academic and co-curricular campus resources. Through these experiences, students will be able to reflect upon the transition to college, learn to navigate University resources, establish early mentoring relationships with faculty, and develop the skills foundational to scholarly work.
Both online courses require approximately 10 hours of engagement per week. If you receive grant aid from the University, you will have the deficit in your required summer savings expectation replaced with grant funding upon successful completion of either course.
Connect&Critique is FSC’s non-credit-bearing critical thinking, reading, and writing course and mentorship experience. In this course, students practice a process-oriented approach toward academic work and gain familiarity with the forms of scholarly exchange that are fundamental to the University community. Throughout Connect&Critique, students will video-conference weekly with a faculty member. Students will learn to identify and articulate their own personal, professional, and scholarly goals and to consider how their newly developed skillsets and University resources can best be put to use in service of these goals.
Connect+Solve is a STEM-focused, not-for-credit course that cultivates the skills and habits of quantitative and scientific reasoning. Connect+Solve orients students to the expectations and modes of instruction in STEM courses at Princeton and introduces them to critical academic and co-curricular programs on campus. Designed by faculty in Princeton’s departments of Chemistry, Math, and Physics, Connect+Solve builds a virtual community with classmates and their Distance Mentor that persists into students' first-year experience. Enrollment in Connect+Solve is by invitation only.
In the summer of 2019, FSC will run for 6 weeks, from July 10-August 24:
- FSC Orientation Launch: July 10-13
- FSC Instruction Begins: July 14
- FSC Ends: August 24
- PLUS: a 4-day advising module from August 25-29
Below, you can learn more about what previous participants have said about FSConnect!
- “This program exceeded my expectations. I was worried that it wouldn't be as helpful as the FSI on campus because everything is virtual, but it actually was really useful and it helped me get so much better at budgeting my time and connecting with classmates and mentors.”
- “I am so happy and thankful I had the opportunity to do this. It has made me far more confident about transitioning into academic and social life at Princeton.”
- “Thank you so much for this opportunity! It really helped to douse some of my fears about college writing and talking to professors.”